Normally most of us don’t live in coastal areas. Even if you are close to a beach, the area may not be suitable for snorkeling. So many people will ask the question: ”Should I rent or buy snorkeling gear?” After all, we are not able to go snorkeling at will. It’s also the question that I asked the most when I first planned to go snorkeling. After a detailed analysis and comparison, I have made my decision. Here I will show you how I do the analysis and comparison.
Snorkeling is a smart choice to observe, feel, and explore the ocean. It gets increasing popular as it’s easy to learn. Unlike diving or free diving, snorkeling requires less professional skills. Everyone can go snorkeling. If your physical condition is not well or you have cardiac disease, snorkeling is not recommended. Few people dislike snorkeling after the first trial. The undersea world is a mystery and attracts people to explore more and more.
Rent snorkeling gear
- Lighten your luggage. It saves a lot of room and weight for your suitcase. If you are used to buying budget airline tickets just like me, regularly, check-in luggage is not included. The carry-on luggage is within the weight limit. Carrying snorkeling gear will occupy a much precious room, the luggage gets easy to overweight.
- Just in case, you won’t go snorkeling again. After first snorkeling, you may dislike snorkeling so you won’t need them again, although it’s in quite small probability events. Take a step back, you can sell them or give them to your friends.
- It’s hard to find a mask that fits your face properly, especially when you’d like to try a full face snorkel mask. A full face snorkel mask is a saver to beginners, but you need to choose a proper size or there can be leaking problems. A traditional snorkel requires you to know how to take a breathing underwater, which is a bit difficult for newbies. Besides that, the mouthpiece needs to fit your mouth. A too big mouthpiece will hurt your gum or cheeks.
- Sanitation concerns. Especially if you rent a traditional gear, it’s hard to guarantee the mouthpiece has been sanitized properly.
- Renting snorkeling gear is not available in some snorkeling destinations. Most snorkeling destinations can offer to rent service, but some remote islands don’t offer to rent service. You’d better do some research on local snorkeling gear renting, and contact with them and reserve your snorkeling gear in advance. It will save you a lot of time.
- There is a chance that the rental store has run out of equipment your size. It will be super frustrating. You have to waste time to find your suitable snorkeling gear, whereas other friends can enjoy snorkeling.
Buy snorkeling gear
- Get your suitable snorkeling gear in advance. Most people purchase their snorkeling online, such as Amazon. Once you receive your snorkel mask or fins, you need to try them on. If they don’t fit well, you still have time to changing or refunding. Most merchants support changing or refunding in 7-30 days after you receive the product. To have a suitable gear, you do need to read Snorkeling Gear: The Ultimate Guide (2018) and How to Wear a Full Face Snorkel Mask? Buy a branded gear. Before you go snorkeling in the ocean, you can practice a bit in a swimming pool, you get familiar with your new gear. Practice makes perfect snorkeling experience.
- You have no need to consider the sanitation. Sanitation consideration compelled me to make the decision to buy my own snorkeling gear.
- At times, renting snorkeling gear is not much cheaper than buying snorkeling gear, especially in some snorkeling resorts. Before you make the purchase, you have time choosing the right gear for the right price. If you are lucky to attain some deals or discounts, it could be very cost-friendly.
- Whenever you want to go snorkeling, you are able to pick up your gear and set off.
- Carrying the snorkeling gear will occupy some space of your suitcase and weight your luggage.
- Some highly qualified snorkeling gears cost much. This investment could go vain if you never go snorkeling again.
Considering the pros and cons, I have made my decision to purchase a set of snorkeling gear. I also recommend you to buy your own. If you prefer renting, just rent the fins and full face snorkel mask. A traditional mask and snorkel are light and won’t take up much space, it’s better to bring your own, avoiding using unsterilized snorkels.
Hardly dislike snorkeling once people have experienced. Most people will go snorkeling again. Offer you some tips about how to pack up your snorkeling.
Never rent or buy low-quality snorkel gear. A set of highly qualified snorkeling gear is a smart investment in a long term. Soft silicone and flexible fins, meaning comfort and fit, will provide you with a better snorkeling experience.
Here we are! Introduce you the Seabeast AF90 snorkeling set, including Seabeast AF90 full face snorkel mask and one-size adjustable fins. It comes with a nylon bag, making it travel-friendly.
Seabeast AF90 full face snorkel mask is the first 100% real anti-fog full face snorkel mask. The Wall Street Journal comments on it “provide especially good visibility; Its snorkel also folds for easy packing.”
Learn more from:
What’s your decision? Leave a comment and let me know. Read the 50 World’s Best Snorkeling Destinations 2018, and bring your snorkeling gear. Set off now!